Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lloyd Matthews Response

Attached as requested is my bio. As supplemental information upon retirement I moved to The Woodlands in August 1998 and attended my first Village Association meeting during September. After being active with the Indian Springs Village Association, Don Braun suggested that I consider running as the Indian Springs Director to The Woodlands Association. The residents elected me as their first representative to that Board in February 2000 and I continue to serve (Secretary, Treasurer or Vice President since 2000). During my election campaign against three other candidates, I listed my objectives as director. All of those objectives have been accomplished except protecting The Woodlands from Houston annexation. This last objective was changed to allow the residents to decide what they wanted on local governance. The election on November 6 allows residents to decide on the future of governance for The Woodlands.

As a response to the urging of others and me, the Community Association of The Woodlands began reviewing local governance options during 2001. I have been on every governance committee since then. My input has helped guide this process. On May 10, 2002 I received a continuing education certificate on Cooperative Governance in Metropolitan Areas from the University of Houston.

In May 2002 The Woodlands Association Board appointed me to serve as their representative of the Town Center Improvement District Board where I currently serve as Vice Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Special Project Committee. Due to my position on both of these boards, I have agreed not to take a position supporting nor opposing the three propositions in the November election. Directors of both boards are supposed to provide factual information to residents without being an advocate so that they may make their own informed decision on the election. As a part of following this route I am on “The Woodlands Decide” committee which has been authorized by The Community Association of The Woodlands and Town Center Improvement District (TCID) to educate the public on this issue. Additionally, I am one of their speakers available to any group that wants information to make a decision and will make a presentation to the Indian Springs Village Association on Tuesday, October 9. “The Woodlands Decides” committee website at www.THEWOODLANDSDECIDES.COM has educational information available including a video. This video presents the facts concerning this issue which will be consistent with how I respond to questions. Public forums are also planned for October 11 at 7:00 PM and October 13 at 9:00 AM. Additionally, the TCID website at http://www.town-center.com/ has a presentation of the financial implications of these three propositions.

No comments: