Thursday, April 10, 2008

Karen Booren 2008 Interview Township Director Woodlands Texas

Candidate Written Interview

1. What specifically do you personally expect to get out of being on the Township Board?

I am enthusiastic and excited about the opportunity to continue serving the residents. My knowledge of the services, delivery, budgets and needs of the residents will be an asset in this transition period.

2. What are the primary resident values that you will use to prioritize your decision making for the villages?

I will try to equalize services and amenities in all areas and make them better when possible. Safety is foremost in our community.

3. What are the primary commercial values you will use to prioritize your decision making for the business community?

Need and value to the community would be a prioritization factor

4. Do you believe that resident issues or commercial interests are going to be your biggest challenge?

Any issue can be the biggest challenge. I will research and act on each accordingly.

5. What is your position on the future government of The Woodlands? For example, do you support incorporation?

I attended many meetings of the Governance Committee and was a member of the original Governance group. I also attended all the community governance forums where I heard residents state they wanted incorporation so they could have more authority and ordinance making ability. I support a process that would allow the residents to make the decision of whether or not they want the Woodlands to be incorporated. I support the process we have begun.

6. What is your view of the relationship between the associations and the Township during and after transition?

Every effort should be made by all parties to make this transition as smooth as possible. I would hope the service corporation would be around a long time as the need for their high standard of delivery of services and their trained staff are most crucial. Personally, I see no need to reinvent the wheel.

7. What is your vision of maintenance services for the community in the transition and afterwards?

As I stated before, the services should be no less than the present level and better in the future

8. What is your vision of the associations’ role in the future of The Woodlands?

The Village associations will be a vital link to the residents. Township should support them at the current levels by providing a meeting place and financially assistance.

9. What changes would you like to see from our fire department over the next two years?

Our Fire Department is on an aggressive plan to add two more fire stations one in Creekside and one for Sterling Ridge/ Indian Springs and complete the College Park station. They will also have to look at construction of a new station to replaced Fire Station One which has been patched and fixed until it is not practical to put much more money into the facility. This station continues to serve a larger number of high rise buildings each year. I would like to see that ISO rating get to a level 2.

10. What are your ideas and vision for the tax structure for residents and businesses here?

I believe that question has been answered through the legislation and with the implementation of the latest sales tax. The bigger question would be how will it be budgeted.

11. What is your position on the parks, trees and amenities provided throughout The Woodlands? Also please add any relative comments on the development of the Village of Creekside Park?

I am a tree hugger and like most of the residents our amenities an parks make this a gorgeous place to live and a wonderful place to raise a family and enjoy nature. Ed Chance has done a wonderful job securing Spring Creek for the future. I trust that a regional park will have fiduciary commitments from the region and private entities and will not have to be funded by the residents.

12. If you have any additional statements you believe residents or storeowners should hear reflecting your personal commitment to their welfare, please try to enumerate in 50 words or less.

I listen, I ask questions, I get answers and I broker resolutions. I have served eight years as a director on the Woodlands Community Association and two years as a Village President. I know residents needs and the delivery of services and budgets. I’m
Knowledgeable
Approachable
Responsive
Energetic
Noteworthy


All rights reserved
Content approved for publication by Karen Booren

No comments: